Monday, March 17, 2008

Menu Plan Monday...


Let's see....last week was another pretty good week as far as sticking to the menu goes. There was an issue on Wednesday, the pork wasn't thawed in time to get it in the crockpot, so we ate leftovers.We had the chili dog casserole on Thursday and I made the pork on Friday. However, it was still tough when it was time to eat, so we went out for pizza. I was going to make the turkey loaf on Sunday, but it wasn't thawed out. The thing is, I had already planned the menu below and gone grocery shopping before I knew we wouldn't be having the turkey loaf.

Hubby and Logan tried to go see Horton Hears a Who on Saturday, but it was sold out. So, they went on Sunday while Lucas and I hung out at home. Then we all went grocery shopping.


Last week we tried the filet mignon and garlic red potatoes (and a favorite of ours...Syrian green beans. The filet mignon was just okay, however, I think it was my fault and not the recipe's. The steaks were thawed, but I think they we still very cold in the middle, so they were not coming up to temp fast enough in the center, so they got overcooked on the outside. Next time I would let the steaks sit at room temp for a while.

The garlic red potatoes were super yummy. I loved the lemon on them!!

The chili dog casserole was pretty good. Some people on Allrecipes left bad reviews, but to me, it was very similar to a hot dog. The tortillas do get slightly soft, but I thought it was fine and gave it more of a hot dog bun consistency. I used fajita sized tortillas and just rolled the hotdogs up in them. I did boil the hotdogs first based on one of the reviews there. I'm sure we'll have it again!!

So, on to this week....

*=new recipe

Monday--maid rites (like sloppy joes), tater tots, salad

Tuesday--pan fried chicken, artichoke tomato pasta*

Wednesday--meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans

Thursday--Greek lemon chicken soup, homemade rolls* (I'm using a recipe from a lady in the town I grew up in---if they turn out, I'll share the recipe next week)

Friday--turkey breast, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce

Saturday--leftovers--wish me luck-->I'm going into DC to try to get some tickets to the Easter egg roll!!

Sunday--HAPPY EASTER!!---->ham (leftover turkey for hubby---he doesn't care for ham), potato casserole (recipe below), salad, deviled eggs, green jello salad*, and banana pudding*

Potato Casserole (I got this recipe out of a church cookbook)

2 lbs. frozen hash brown potatoes (I use southern style)
1/2 c. melted butter
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
2 cans cream of chicken soup
16 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
10 0z. Cheddar cheese, shredded
Topping:
2 c. crushed corn flakes
1/2 c. melter butter

Thaw potatoes (I never do) and combine all ingredients (except for topping) in a large mixking bowl (and I do mean large!!). Pour mixture into a large casserole dish. Sprinkle with topping and bake 1 to 1.5 hours at 350 degrees or until topping is browned and casserole is bubbling.


For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

3 Comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Candi ;=) you always eat so well.. it sounds just delicious this week.especially the chilli dog casserole.. yummy.have a great week won't you.

Unknown said...

My husband and teen would love the Chili Dog Casserole.
It's good that you had backups for those days. That's one of the nice things about menu planning.
Happy St. Patrick's Day

teachermomof2 said...

Your menu sounds great! I make the same potato casserole and my family loves it!

Happy Easter!

Lisa
catholicmomof2.blogspot.com