Monday, October 29, 2007

Menu Plan Monday...


Well, last week did not go as planned. On Tuesday, I had just got Lucas up from his nap and was coming down the stairs carrying him. I thought I was at the bottom step, but wasn't and fell. I was able to catch myself enough to keep Lucas from getting hurt, but I hit my knee on the floor (leaving a nice bruise) and somehow twisted my ankle. I ended up at the ER because it hurt worse than any sprain I have ever had. They did x-rays and nothing was broken, but I've been limping around (I have a follow up appt. today at 4 PM). So, my husband helped out more with dinner (he made a huge pan of mac and cheese for lunch and then helped make a meatloaf to go with that for dinner) and we had leftovers and easier things (like hot dogs, etc...). So, I didn't get to some of my meals, but I still mostly changed my meals for the week to the ones that I had planned already.

On top of all that....I was behind on laundry before I hurt my ankle. However, we live in a 3 level townhome with the laundry room on the bottom floor and all bedrooms on the top level (where 99.9% of the dirty laundry accumulates). So, I was not able to move laundry up and down and I really didn't want to mess with it any way. I say I was behind on laundry....I had been washing it, and hanging the hanging clothes, but not folding the folding clothes. So, this weekend hubby helped me get caught up. He is more than happy to transfer everything over, but I do all the folding (mostly because I am picky). I sat on the couch and folded laundry for 2 HOURS!! I wonder how many calories you burn folding laundry....LOL!!

Also, we are still doing well with our October challenge of not eating out. Our month is almost over!! Logan announced almost daily that our month WAS over....he was not happy about the no eating out thing. Check back next week to see what we spent on eating out in Sept. vs. eating out in October!!! I haven't added it up yet, so I am anxious to see our savings!!

So...on to this week's menu!!

  • Monday--Greek lemon chicken soup, grilled cheese sandwiches
  • Tuesday--beef noodle casserole, salad, green beans
  • Wednesday--pork roast, mashed potatoes, steamed Normandy veggies, old fashioned oatmeal bread
  • Friday--(husband's birthday)--Italian cheese balls, green bean casserole, salad, 3 layer raisin pie --->this is his favorite meal!! (I got the recipe for the cheese balls and pie from his mom!) Scroll down for recipes
  • Saturday--(my birthday)--I'm planning leftovers, but hubby says we aren't having leftovers for my birthday--->truthfully, I don't mind
  • Sunday--leftovers

  • breakfasts: oatmeal, pancakes, cold cereal, or breakfast sandwiches
  • lunches: hot dogs, mac and cheese, soup, ham and cheese sandwiches, or pb&j sandwiches

For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

Italian Cheese Balls

1 c. fine bread crumbs
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts (these should be very fine..almost like bread crumbs)
4-5 eggs, beaten
1 med. onion very finely chopped
1 clove garlic very finely chopped
1 t. salt
1 t. sage
1 t. thyme
1 t. pepper
1/2 c. oil

Combine all ingredients except oil, mixing well. Form into small balls and lightly brown in oil only enough to set balls. Put in baking dish.

Sauce:
Spaghetti sauce or
mushroom sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup (perhaps cream of celery)
1/2 c. water
veg. bouillon cube
1 c. sour cream

Dissolve bouillon cube in 1/2 cup water. Add to soup and sour cream. Mix well.

Place sauce and 3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese over balls and bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

I usually double this recipe as we really like these and love having left overs!!


***These can be pretty labor-intensive, but I buy shredded cheese and get my walnut meal at Trader Joe's. It makes the process a lot faster!!


3 Layer Raisin Pie
(I have to say I am not a big fan of this pie...I prefer chocolate, but my husband and his family love it)

1 c. raisins, chopped
2/3 c. sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
1/3 c. water
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1 T. butter
1 c. sour cream
1 baked pie crust

Combine: sugar, raisins, egg yolks, and water in sauce pan. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil. Continue boiling and stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat and butter and sour cream. Chill.

Beat: 4 oz. cream cheese and 1/3 c. powdered sugar

Beat: 1 c. whipping cream

Mix: Whipping cream and cream cheese mixture together.

Cover bottom of pie crust with half of cream mixture. Cover with raisin mixture and them top with the rest of the cream mixture. Refrigerate.


Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
Pampered Chef
“It’s good for you” cookbook

2 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
½ cup chopped onion
1-2 lemons
2 Tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 cans (14.5 oz each) Chicken Broth
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 cup uncooked white rice

Lightly spray 4qt. pot with cooking spray. Heat pot over medium heat and add carrots, onion and garlic. Cook and stir 2 min. Stir in chicken, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, ¼ cup lemon juice, soup, chicken broth and black pepper. Bring to a boil and stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover; simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley just before serving.

11 Comments:

Jenny said...

I hope you're starting to feel better! Very lucky it wasn't worse!
I'm behind on my laundry. Need to really get things in order ASAP!LOL
Great menu! Thanks for sharing!

Natalie said...

I'm sorry about your pain! Have a good week and a happy birthday!

Maggie said...

The lemon chicken soup sounds realy good. Sorry about your ankle!

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes. Hope you recover soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope that you get well soon. Have a wonderful week.

teachermomof2 said...

Hope your ankle heals soon! Your menu sounds great!

Take care,
Lisa

Carrie said...

that all sounds WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try that greek lemon soup!! yum!

KC said...

That all looks yummy. Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to see what the difference is from Sept to Oct in what you spent on food.
Have a wonderful Monday

Michelle said...

Oh no on your ankle and knee.I hope that you feel better soon ;=)it's hard when you get behind on laundry. Looking forward to seeing what you spent in September vs.October,And Happy Early Birthday to you both!!!!

Candi said...

I just did a quick add up on Sept. vs. October and you guys are going to be shocked!!! I'm not surprised at the difference, but it is still a little hard to swallow. Be sure to tune in next week ;-)!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your pain and ankle. But it sounds like things are on the way to healing.
I will want to come back and see how much you saved this month. We have saved alot of money since we eat majority of our meals at home.
Hope you have a great week.