Monday, December 17, 2007

Menu Plan Monday...


This past week was SUPER crazy. None of our family lives close, so we have to mail all gifts. I've mailed 7 packages (with one to go) and almost 60 Christmas cards last week. Hopefully this week will be a bit less rushed. We went into D.C. last Monday to see the national tree, too. I only made one meal that I planned last week. Now, the good news is that we didn't eat out, we just made fast things at home. The other nice thing is no shopping this week!! So, yes...this is essentially the same menu from last week. We did try the kielbasa and cabbage skillet and really liked it. I served it with fine egg noodles, buttered. Logan loved the noodles and kielbasa and I put some of the cooked carrots and bell peppers in with it...he ate it right up.

Also, I wanted to share with you a new favorite thing of mine. I honestly can eat this twice a day and don't get tired of it!! I got this from an online friend, Tina. She got it from her friend, Julie Disser, who wrote a raw foods cookbook. I'm telling you....I love this salad!! Now, I don't mix up the whole thing since it is just me eating it. I keep all the veggies chopped so when I want this salad, it only take a couple of minutes to mix it up.

Fresh Kale Salad

1 bunch fresh kale ( may add red chard, swiss chard and collard greens)
1/2 tsp celtic sea salt or real salt (I use kosher)
1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper diced
1-2 ribs celery diced
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1 avocado diced
1/2 cup sprouted or canned garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 TBSP pumpkin seeds (I use sunflower ones because I can't find pumpkin)
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

To remove stems from kale, take each leaf in hand, fold it in half lengthwise with the stem in the center, nd with the other hand, gently pull on the stem. You can also use a knife to separate the leaves from the stems. Once the stems have been removed, stack the leaes on top of one another and chop nto very thin strips. Add the kale (and other greens) to a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and then work the salt into the kale with your hands. The kale will wilt and take on a soft and pleasant texture without loss of nutrients involved in cooking. Add the other ingredients and toss well. Serve immediately.

Here is a before shot of the kale.  This is about 4-5 cups of loosely packed kale.
And here is what it looks like after working the salt into it.  
*=new recipe

  • Breakfasts: I'm making a crustless quiche* that will last a couple of days, oatmeal, cold cereal, toast with jam
  • Lunches: chicken salad on whole wheat tortilla, ham and cheese on whole wheat tortilla, pb and j, chicken strips, pasta, salad

  • Thursday--chicken broccoli cheese casserole*, salad--I was excited to find the casserole recipe, because the creamed soups actually have a good amount of carbs in them
For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

10 Comments:

Katz said...

those enchiladas sound delicious! have a great week.

amanda. said...

Those enchiladas have me intrigued! I'm so tempted to try them but I'm scared the husband would be disgusted. I am gonna try the chili relleno casserole though. It looks delicious!

Disney for Boys said...

Wow, you have a very yummy menu this week! I love the sound of the chili relleno casserole!!!

Have a blessed week!
Tiany
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Tiany/

Natalie said...

Friday sounds awesome!

My Menu Plan is up too! :)

Michelle said...

hi candi. everything sounds delicious.have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great week! The pumpkin enchiladas look interesting. Thanks for sharing.


MJ

Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing that raw food salad recipe! It looks delicious. I'm doing Weight Watchers, so that is right up my alley. :) The rest of your menu looks great, too.

I'll bet mailing out that many packages added up! I usually resort to giftcards for that reason. :(
Hope this week is less hectic for you!

Unknown said...

Yum on the enchiladas and the spaghetti squash lasagne. Do you have recipes for those?

Hope you have a great week and one that is less hectic!

Sandra said...

Everything looks wonderful, great menu :)

The enchiladas sound soooo good!

Mine is up too :)

Unknown said...

That Kale salad Looks yummy!! I'm putting that on my grocery list!!