Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What is your cleaning schedule like??

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

Sorry...no pictures this week. The thing that I have to tackle today is 7 loads of laundry. I keep saying that I will do luandry on Tuesday and Friday, as to not let it pile up. Yet, I find I am still only doing it once a week. Before moving into here (in March), we lived in a one level apartment. I had a routine down and it worked great. I am struggling with that here and want to hear what your routine for cleaning is. At the apartment, my home was always in great shape. The problem here is that we are in a 3 level townhome. The playroom, storage room (which is ALWAYS a mess), and laundry room are in the basement. The main level holds the living room, dining room, kitchen, and 1/2 bath. Upstairs are 3 bedrooms and a full bath. I feel like when I am letting the boys play in the basemment, I can't be on another level cleaning. I also feel my old routine doesn't work here because I would clean certain rooms on certain days, but I hate that if I do that here, it means I am cleaning both bathrooms on seperate levels and the rest of that level isn't clean yet. I would also vacuum those rooms on the day they were scheduled to be clean. I have wood floors here and I feel that if I don't clean all of the levels on the same day, we just track everything around. I am sure we did on the carpet, it just didn't feel like it. Cleaning 3 levels of floors takes a while and it is next to impossible to do with a 1.5 year old tagging along. I use my kirby to clean the floors, so I can't really do it during nap time either.

Okay...so on to the old schedule....
Monday--kitchen
Tuesday--living room/dining room
Wednesday--bathrooms
Thursday--bedrooms

My house stayed really clean with this schedule. If I didn't get to a day, I had Friday to catch up before the weekend. There are also things that I did everyday...pick up toys before nap time and bed time, do dishes, sweep or wipe down bathrooms if needed.

So....let me hear it...how do you go about cleaning your house?? Do you do certain areas on certain days? Do you do everything in one day? If you have levels in your home, do you do a whole level on one day? How about floors? Do you clean them all in one day? For some reason this house is just throwing me. I do have more rooms (the rooms in the basement) and about 400 more sq. feet to clean.

Head on over to 5 minutes for Mom for more Tackle it Tuesday fun!!

7 Comments:

Lauren said...

With a 21-month old tagging along, I also find it hard to get into a cleaning schedule. Hence, my house is usually a mess. Sorry I'm not much help!

Susanna Rose said...

As of yet, we still live in an apartment which has its down sides but the upside is house cleaning is easy to accomplish in one day! If I was in a house though, I'd be doing it the way you do... bit each day.

Susanna

Christi said...

Well, no advice here because you know what my cleaning schedule it - after all, I learned it from you!

Seriously, your "old" schedule was the best I've ever done. Makes for a very clean house at all times.

Wish I could help you come up with something new!

Candi said...

You know...maybe I just need to get over the fact that things are on different levels and just do it the old way. Things stayed clean that way, so I guess it wouldn't be like one room on a level is clean and the other is a huge mess.

Fingers To Toes Photography said...

Oh girl - cleaning is not my "thang" LOL - right now I clean for 1 - 2 hours a day and that's all the time I have alloted for it - sooo I clean what NEEDS it - I must admit I STILL dont pick up the toys EVERY night - most nights but not every...Good luck!

Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my blog
I pray you can get a new routine worked out
I for one dont like it when my washing piles up

mamaerica said...

You know, I've struggled with the same thing since moving into twice as much space and 3 floors! What works for me, sorta anyway, is to do one floor each day.

Monday is Bed/Bath day, so I change sheets (2 beds each week, so the beds have the same sheets for 2 full weeks) and clean bathrooms. The bathrooms that receive the most traffic are cleaned each week, and the other 2 I try to clean each week, but if it doesn't work, oh well!

Tuesday I clean the upstairs, home of the bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

Wednesday is Main Floor day, so the living rooms and deep kitchen cleaning.

Thursday is Basement day, so the family room and computer areas.

Friday is "Catch up" day or errand day, depending on if it's payday or not (payday = errands).

As for laundry, I try to do two loads each day, start to finish. Sometimes that works great and other times, not so much! But, at least there's clean clothes somewhere in the house! LOL!

Good luck!