Sunday, May 11, 2008

Old Fashioned Donuts and 200 posts!!


What do those two things have to do with each other. Nothing---except that this post makes #200 for me!!

Today, for Mother's Day, Logan and hubby made homemade Old Fashioned Donuts. YUM!! They were so good!! This was our first time to make them and I think they turned out pretty well!!

I bought this nifty little cookie and donut cutter and it had the recipe on the back. (Scroll down for recipe)






Old Fashioned Donuts


3 T shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
1 t. grated nutmeg
3/4 t. salt
3 cups all purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking soda (YES---5!!)
powdered sugar

Cream the shortening and sugar together. Beat the egg and add to the mixture. Stir in the milk. Sift together the nutmeg, salt, flour, and baking powder. Combine mixtures. Knead slightly to make a dough stiff enough to be rolled out on a floured pastry board. Roll to a thickness of about 1/4 inch and cut with the cutter. Fry in deep hot fat. Drain and sprinkle with powdered sugar or other favorite toppings.* (We got 20 donuts out of this)

*The above is the recipe on the back of the cutter. I did some research on cooking them and you will want to turn them as soon as they pop up. Turn them and cook for another minute. We thought that they were cooking super fast, so we left them a little bit longer and they were slightly overdone. You can see how brown they look in the picture---you want them to be slightly lighter. We wanted chocolate ones, so we let the donuts cool completely and then iced them.

Chocolate Icing


1.5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (I think you could use bittersweet, but I had semi-sweet on hand)
2 T butter
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
boiling water

Melt chocolate and butter. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough boiling water to make it the right consistency. Stir to remove lumps.

Dip one side of donut into icing and let cool.

5 Comments:

Audra said...

Those look Delicious! I may have to try those. Did you change your blog? It looks different. I like it. If not, just ignore the crazy comment...

Happy Mother's Day
Love, Aud

Candi said...

Ha--yes--I changed it!

They were/are delicious!! The recipe made 20, so we'll have them for a few days!

Love you Aud--Happy Mother's Day!!

Tammy said...

My family thanks you for the yummy recipes you post.

My waist, however, does not. ;)

Samantha said...

looks adorable (the boy :) ) and the donuts look yummy! I love your cast iron skillet. you know me. i love my cast iron!!!

I think that baby blue kettle on your stove is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from what i can see of your kitchen, it is so cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey those look good! I saw one of those cutters at "The Kitchen Connection" and thought about getting one. I decided not to impulse buy at that moment but it's still on my mind. As a kid my mom and I would make donuts but we cheated. We would get a can of refrigerated biscuits and use the top of soda bottle to cut a hole in each one. We'd fry them up and either put cinnamon & sugar, just plain sugar, or sugar glaze on them. They were yummy! Maybe I'll have to do this with my kids too.