Thursday, May 22, 2008

Homemade....


I was sooo pleased with how my homemade bread and butter turned out!! I had made the bread before, but made a few changes this time. Last time I reduced the heat to 375 degrees because my bread pan said to cook the bread at 25 degrees lower than what the recipe called for. I also used half wheat flour and half white. This time I used all white flour and kept the temp. at 400 degrees (I also sprinkled it with cornmeal this time and didn't last time). The bread was very good last time, but I did much better on it this time!! Samantha, I'm so glad you posted the recipe because I know we'll have this often around here--we LOVE it!! It's actually pretty easy to do, as well!!



I made some homemade butter to go along with it. The recipe says that you can make it in a food processor or a blender. My blender did not work--it got thick and no longer mixed it well. I switched to using my hand held mixer and it worked great. When it thickened and turned yellow, it was ready. I dumped it out onto several paper towels stacked together and used a spatula to press the moisture out. As the paper towels got wet, I got new ones and repeated the process. Once it was all pressed out, I placed the butter into my butter bell. I only used one cup of cream and half the salt because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. The one cup seemed to be the perfect amount for one loaf of French bread.



This will definitely be a frequent combination in this house!!

4 Comments:

Samantha said...

oh yummy! I love this bread!!! I have never made my own butter, it sounds like fun!!

When i make this bread, one of dh's favorite things for me to make is garlic butter. I take butter and i add in lots of garlic powder and some sprinkles of italian seasoning. it tastes so yummy, like what you get at Spaghetti Warehouse or Zio's or something.

Audra said...

I will have to try the bread. I can't believe you made butter! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Hi, out blog hopping and found your blog. Love the photos of the bread and butter...it's making me hungry. Samantha's comment on garlic seasoned butter sounds good too. Oh, heck. Now I'm craving bread...

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive you made this beautiful bread yourself!

This would be a big hit in my house.