Monday, May 12, 2008

Menu Plan Monday..


We tried a few new things last week and loved them all!!

First, I made honey balsamic chicken (scroll down for recipe) with homemade spaetzlele (scroll to the bottom for the recipe). It is amazing that only a few ingredients are needed to make this tasty chicken!! We LOVED it!! While looking for my French bread pan, I bought a few other kitchen gadgets in order to spend the $25 to get free shipping. This gadget was one of the ones I got and I'm so glad I did!! I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but we loved it! Even the boys loved them!!



Another winner was the peanut butter banana bread. I mixed it up in no time and we loved it with the homemade apricot preserves. My husband liked it best with peanut butter and apricot preserves--I didn't try it that way to save a few carbs!


Then there was my Mother's Day treat of homemade Old Fashioned Donuts!!


*=new recipe
Monday--
round steak with black beans
*, rice, salad

Tuesday--boneless bbq pork ribs, mac and cheese, green beans

Wednesday--cayenne rubbed chicken with avocado salsa* (I believe I saw this on someone's MPM, but it was a while ago and I don't remember whose---also, I got avocados on sale for $1 each--normally $2 each, so I was very excited!!), cumin lime rice, beans

Thursday--crockpot steak and gravy*, rice pilaf, steamed cauliflower

Friday--buffalo chicken chili mac, homemade French bread, homemade butter*, salad

Honey Balsamic Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 T olive oil
2T balsamic vinegar
2T honey
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in pan, salt and pepper both sides of chicken and add it to pan. Cook chicken 8 minutes per side or until done. Add the balsamic vinegar and honey to the pan and simmer until it thickens (about 1 minute).




Spaetzle


2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup water
1.5 cups flour
1/4 t. salt
1 bouillon cube (I used beef)

Combine eggs, water, flour and salt, beating until smooth. Add bouillon cube to 6 cups boiling water. Put batter into the square basket of the Spaetzle Maker and place over the pot of boiling water. Slide the basket back and forth letting tiny dumplings fall into the water. When done, they will rise to the surface. Use a slotted spoon to strain them out into a large covered bowl. Repeat the process until all of the dough is used up. Lightly toss with butter, parsley, and salt to taste and serve in place of noodles, rice, or potatoes.

For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

11 Comments:

Michelle said...

how yummy the crockpot steak sounds! must try it.hope that your mother's day was lovely Candi :D
have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your site. This all sounds too yummy!

Anonymous said...

Your meal plan sounds delicious! In elementary school I had a friend whose German mom made homemade spaetzle -- so good. I might have to try my hand at it.

Anonymous said...

The Donuts look yummy. What a nice treat!

Anonymous said...

Just printed out the recipe for the peanut butter banana bread. Sounds delicious.

I also have a kids activity pack giveaway in conjunction with my menu plan this week.

Nicole said...

The spaetzle sounds great! I tried to make it one time and it was a disaster. lol Have a great week!

Teri said...

That chicken sounds awesome (the balsamic) I definitely want to try it! My Grammy has a super-old fashioned (probably antique) spaetzle maker like that...I think she calls them drubles, though... :) I forgot how much I loved doing MPM - I can't wait until I'm not working f/t anymore so that I can squeeze it in again!

Julieann said...

WoW!!! I am so coming over to your house for dinner--every night..lol:)
A beautiful menu:)

Julieann

mom_of2boys said...

Yummy menu!! I'll take one donut with peanut butter banana bread on the side...lol. Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Milk Mama said...

Mmmmmm those donuts look delicious!

Samantha said...

oh, it all looks yummy!

i am totally in the baking mood!