Monday, October 19, 2009

Menu Plan Monday...



Last week we tried five new recipes and we liked them all. The falafel will certainly be something we have often....we LOVED it! Matter of fact, I'm planning it into this week! The recipe says to use a blender on the onion and parsley, but my blender isn't that great and wasn't chopping it up. I switched it into my mini chopper and it worked great. I had planned on baking them, but ran short on time and fried them to save time. The recipe says to make 8 balls, but I had trouble with them falling apart when they were that large. I made some smaller ones and it worked out great.

The sesame noodles were very tasty! Even my 7 year old ate them up!

The fideo was very yummy, but I had to make a few adjustments. I didn't read at the top that you can "use less water for a drier pasta" until it was too late. It was more like a soup, so I drained most of the liquid off and added in a can of tomato paste. It stated above the recipe that you could add tomato sauce, but it was already so liquidy, so I thought the paste would be perfect and I was right!

We also tried the pumpkin pie oatmeal. I don't have individual-sized ramekins, so I just used an oval Cornigware dish and it worked out. My 3.5 year old loves oatmeal and my 7 year old tolerates it, so I thought it was something we could all eat. My boys did eat it, but neither of them really loved it. My husband and I thought it was rather tasty, though!

I also made the strawberry bread. YUM! I just finished it up late Sunday night, so the boys haven't tried it. I think they will love it!

We have had the butternut squash/sausage pasta lots of times, but last week we tried it with sweet potato instead. It was very good!


On to this week.....

*=new recipe

Monday--falafel sandwiches on chapati bread (I have chapati flour. All I have to do is add flour, knead, wait 10 minutes then roll them out and heat them on a hot cast iron skillet. YUM!)

Tuesday-- Bacon Cheeseburger Wellingtons and baked sweet potato fries

Wednesday--chipotle lime turkey breast burritos

Thursday-- pulled pork sandwiches* and baked beans

Friday-- oven baked chicken breast, baked sweet potatoes, and green beans

Saturday-- pan seared red snapper*, rice pilaf with pine nuts*, and carrots

Sunday--honey balsamic chicken, homemade spaetzle, steamed broccoli

Breakfast choices:
--eggs, sausage, toast with jam
--cold cereal
--cereal bar, yogurt, cup of fruit
--oatmeal
--strawberry bread with or without peanut butter
--banana nut bread with or without peanut butter

Lunch choices (never anything exciting):
--hot dogs, chips and fruit
--sandwiches, carrots and dip, fruit
--cheese quesadilla, chips, salsa
--macaroni and cheese and fruit
--grilled cheese and tomato soup

Snacks:
--hummus and pita chips
--strawberry bread with or without peanut butter
--banana nut bread with or without peanut butter
--graham crackers and applesauce
--graham crackers, almond butter, choc. covered raisins

Treats:
--rice crispy treats (didn't make these last week)
--ice cream

Head on over to Laura's for more menus!

5 Comments:

Kristen said...

I think I will have to make those cheeseburger wellingtons! I can't eat a hamburger bun, but I can normally eat a crescent roll and I haven't had a cheeseburger in soooo long.

Thanks for posting!

Christi said...

Sounds yummy! And, love your new profile pic. How old is this picture - or did you cut your hair?

Unknown said...

Don't you just love it when your family loves what you make?
You have a tasty week of recipes planned.
Please feel free to stop by my blog. Our family is looking for ways to reduce our grocery bill since my husband and I are unemployed.
You have a wonderful week!

n*stitches said...

That strawberry bread sounds great! I bit I can turn it into a gluten-free version! Thanks!

Kaleena said...

It all sounds so yummy! I'm going to have to try making some of those things for my girls:)