Sunday, October 25, 2009

Menu Plan Monday...



Last week we didn't get to a couple of meals because we ended up having friends over for pizza on Thursday. Then we had pizza and other leftovers on Saturday, and Sunday. So, I am carrying over some meals to this week. I have been baking a batch of banana bread every week because my husband loves to take it to work with peanut butter on it for a snack.

The pulled pork sandwiches were very good! I used ribs for mine. I cooked 4 pounds of bone in ribs in ths crockpot with just water, salt, pepper, and garlic on high for 4 hours. They were falling off the bone, so I figured that was a good sign. I don't make ribs very often and was concerned that 4 hours on high might not lead to very tender ribs. It worked, though. I shredded the meat and disposed of all the liquid and bones. The first night we had them, I did not toast the buns, but I had one for lunch on Saturday and toasted the bun (a bit of butter spread on then heated in a cast iron skillet---YUM). It was way better with the toasted bun! I really loved this recipe, but my husband is not a big fan of pork, so I likely won't get to have it again any time soon.


On to this week.....

*=new recipe

Monday--baked chicken breast, baked sweet potatoes, and green beans

Tuesday-- pan seared red snapper*, rice pilaf with pine nuts*, and carrots

Wednesday--honey balsamic chicken, homemade spaetzle, steamed broccoli

Thursday-- cheeseburger crescent rolls (recipe below), baked sweet potato fries, salad

Friday-- chicken strips, mashed potatoes, Syrian green beans

Saturday-- bean soup with kielbasa, roasted potatoes, corn bread

Sunday--leftovers

Breakfast choices:
--eggs, sausage, toast with jam
--cold cereal
--cereal bar, yogurt, cup of fruit
--oatmeal
--banana nut bread with or without peanut butter

Lunch choices (never anything exciting):
--hot dogs, chips and fruit
--sandwiches, carrots and dip, fruit
--cheese quesadilla, chips, salsa
--macaroni and cheese, fruit
--grilled cheese and tomato soup

Snacks:
--hummus and pita chips
--fresh fruit or dried fruit
--nuts
--banana nut bread with or without peanut butter
--graham crackers and applesauce
--graham crackers, almond butter, choc. covered raisins

Treats:
--Jiffy Cake cookie bars (recipe on the box....so easy and so good...I baked these up on Sunday.)
--rice crispy treats with choc. and peanut butter chips (I didn't make these until the weekend, so we still have them)
--ice cream

Cheeseburger Crescent rolls:

Last week I was making the bacon cheeseburger wellingtons and decided to try something different (with a little inspiration from my sister). Instead of making a patty and wrapping it in 4 crescent rolls, I just scrambled the hamburger meat with the seasonings. I used 2 triangles of dough to make a rectangle and put the cooled meat onto the dough. I topped it with cheese and mustard, folded the dough over and sealed the edges (I was out of bacon, so I omitted it, but if I had it I would have chopped it into little pieces and included it). It made great little pocket sandwiches and these were a much better size for us (the patty and 4 crescent rolls were HUGE). I did a pound of meat and one can of crescent rolls and that left me with leftover meat for this week!

Head on over to Laura's for more menus!

7 Comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great looking menu! The Honey balsamic chicken with homemade spatzle sounds yummy! I haven't had spatzle in a long time.

have a great week!

Tammy said...

Do you have a link or the recipe to share with us for the cheeseburger crescent rolls? They sound yummy.

Candi said...

Hi Tammy. I just edited my post to include the recipe. :)

SnoWhite said...

those cheeseburger wellingtons sound fun :)

Liz said...

The honey balsamic chicken sounds really good. Great menu plan this week.

Tammy said...

Thank you! :)

Audra said...

Sounds yummy! I'm glad the change worked for your cheeseburger pockets. I'll have to try them.