Sunday, September 28, 2008

Homeschooling--Lesson #1

Lesson #1 is the letter S-sun. We read lots of books and did lots of crafts! It was a fun week!


We had fun tracing the boys hands and using them to make a sun. Lucas was very excited about all his construction paper hands. I glued them onto the poster board and made the sun for him. I handed it to him and was hanging Logan's sun on the wall. I heard a rrrriiiiippppp and turned around to see Lucas ripping the hands off....LOL!! Here is Logan's sun:

Logan and daddy turned a pizza box into a solar oven. We used aluminum tape and that made it pretty easy (plus we already had it at home)!! I just used saran wrap across the top rather than the plexi-glass. We used it to make s'mores. The marshmallows did get soft, but didn't melt all that great. Next time I might warm them in the microwave a little bit to get them started. Overall, I consider it a success....they boys loved them!





While waiting on our s'mores to cook, we placed ice cubes on different colored paper to see which one would melt first and put together a sun-dial.



We also made a rainbow pinwheel and spun it to see the colors create white light (I don't have pictures of that yet).

Both boys loved this song and video. A bit goofy, but they watched it over and over and over!



We also read over 20 books. Here are some of our favorites (you can click them for more info):















4 Comments:

Melissa said...

What neat ways to learn about the sun!! The solar oven looks pretty cool!

Tammy said...

Oh wow, what fun! I knew you'd enjoy homeschooling. ;)

Audra said...

I love it! Your sun is great and I think that solar oven will be made at our house sometime soon. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are enjoying homeschooling. It looks like Logan is too.

Teri said...

Candi - I will admit that (as a certified teacher) I'm not a fan of homeschooling (because I've seen it gone awry too many times), but you're definitely proof that it can be done well! You're doing an awesome job!

And when I taught the solar system to 1st grade during my student teaching, I used the Sun Song by TMBG, too! :) You should check out their ABC & 123 CD/DVDs :) They're great!