Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Homeschooling--Lesson #2

Lesson #2 was M-moon. We had a great time again learning lots about the moon!
We did some crafts:




Logan drew the phases of the moon, but I don't have pictures of that.

And we launched rockets:





Launching the rockets was an adventure. We went to a park with a large field and thought it would be okay. We got everything all set up and Logan did our countdown. He got excited and pressed the button before he said blastoff and the rocket was gone before we could even see it. We all turned around to watch it and we briefly saw a smoke trail and that was it. We never saw the parachute come out to help us spot it, so it was lost. Surprisingly, Logan held it together. I was afraid he would be very upset about it being lost. We did drive around looking for it, but to no avail! My friend, Christi, sent me a link on how to make a rocket out of a film canister and Alka Seltzer, so we did that, too!





We found a Popular Mechanics DVD about rockets and Logan loved it!

I forgot to write down our favorite moon books before returning them to the library, but here are some I remember:



We also made a moon cake that I found a recipe for on the MFW message board (I'll post the recipe below). Logan loved making it!





Moon Cake

Mix and bake in a 9 inch round cake pan.

Moon Sand:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 T. cocoa

Form 3 craters in the moon sand, one large crater in the center and one medium crater and one small crater anywhere on the moon sand.

Add 1 tsp. baking soda to the medium crater.
Add 5 T melted butter to the large crater.
Add 1 tsp. vanilla to the small crater.

Pour 1 T. vinegar into the medium crater and watch it bubble like a volcano.

When foam stops, add 1 c. milk and mix together to form moon mud.

Sprinkle with 3/4 c. miniature marshmallows (moon rocks).

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.

6 Comments:

Christi said...

We loved the moon cake, too; lots of fun. R & C love anything that has them in the kitchen. And the alka-seltzer rocket was fun. What kind was your other rocket?

Candi said...

It was an Estes rocket. I wnet back and added a link to it in the paragraph about the rockets.

Tammy said...

Sounds like you are having as much fun as the boys! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, model rockets can go quite far. I was shocked the first time I launched one. I recommend the movie "October Sky" for your family. You can also learn a lot from the TV series "From the Earth to the Moon" which is on DVD. And also a bit from the movie "Apollo 13". But some aspects of these may be too adult for your child. I started writing a book on the moon race for children some years ago, but alas I never finished it.

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Randall, "from the earth to the moon" series.... sounds like something we need. We homeschool as well and I'd love to lay my hands on a series like that.

Candi, you're doing an awesome job!!!

Julie

Teri said...

You're doing a great job! It sounds like a ton of work for you, but seems like you're handling it with ease. I'm glad to see the picture play-by-play of it all :)