Monday, October 15, 2007

Menu Plan Monday...


This week we tried two new things that I found on Sandra's blogs. The pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and pizza. We really liked them both! Lucas absolutely LOVES the muffins! If you like pumpkin, you have to try these muffins.



We also had a little family party for Logan over the weekend. We took him to the park and let him ride his new bike on Saturday and on Sunday we did cake and presents (minus the bike that he got on his actual birthday).



He turned 5, but it was only my second time to make a cake for him rather than buy one. This time I made a homemade cake, rather than using a box. It was my first time to use the recipe, so I was worried it wouldn't turn out right. However, it is very YUMMY!! Certainly not one for a diet though!! I doubled the recipe and used two 9x13x2 pans to bake it in. Notice how much butter is in this thing!! For doubling the recipe, I used 5.5 STICKS of butter!!! It is a very rich cake and you won't eat a very big piece. I kind of cheated with decorating it because I'm just not that talented. I used Playmobil pirates and I think it turned out pretty cute!!


This is another week with minimal grocery shopping. After this week I am pretty much out of veggies, so I will have to buy more next week. This is my 3rd week of planning and cooking off of what I have. This week for our dinners, I just have to buy ingredients for the cream sauce for my meatballs. I need to get bread, orange juice, and a few other things, but not much.

*=new recipe

Sunday--lunch--homemade pizza and homemade cake (we didn't have this Saturday...we took Loan to the park to ride his bike and got back too late)
--dinner--leftovers

Monday--Mexican spaghetti, salad, bread

Tuesday--buffalo/pork/cranberry sausage dogs, French fries

Wednesday--meatballs with cream sauce, rice pilaf, steamed veggies

Thursday--smoky Appalachian chicken, saffron rice, corn

Friday--steak, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies

Saturday--chicken and dumplings*

Sunday--leftovers


For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

13 Comments:

Natalie said...

Great job on the cake!

Heather said...

everything looks yummy this week, have a good one.

Anonymous said...

What a fun party! Cool cake!

You have a wonderful menu this week, thanks for sharing the recipes! I am going to try the muffins and the dumplings!

Anonymous said...

we had pumpkin chocolate chip muffins too--delicious. What a great menu plan this week.

Tasha said...

I think I am going to try the mexican spaghetti. Hope you have a great week!

A Juggling Mum said...

What a cute cake :) And your menu looks great too!

Rachel xxx

Jenny said...

The mexican spaghetti sounds great! I love your cake! My boys love the Megablocks pirates as well...great idea!!!
Great menu!

Michelle said...

oh wow great job on the cake!!!the meals all look awesome.

MrsMomma said...

I've bookmarked those pumpkin muffins to give them a try. Thanks for the link! The cake looks fabulous as does your menu plan. Hope you have a wonderful week!

-Heather

Christi said...

I can't believe how grown-up Logan looks on his bike!

I think the cake turned out well! The recipe sounds yummy, too.

As always, love your menu. Talk to you soon!

TracyMichele said...

My kids LOVE pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Sometimes the chocolate is a bit much for morning, so I will put 3-4 chips on the top.. they haven't complained yet.

We also do pizza every Friday night. I decided to try deep dish. YUM! We put the dough into 9 inch cake pans and top as usual. They make perfect individual deep dish pizzas.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great menu!

teachermomof2 said...

Your cake looks great!