Monday, May 21, 2007

Menu Plan Monday



Last week we tried some new recipes that we really liked. The green beans, carrots, beef broccoli stir fry (recipe on last week's menu) and fried rice (I'll post the recipe below) were all great.

We didn't have the ribs last week, so I moved that to this week.

Scroll to the bottom for recipes!!

For more menus, head over to Laura's blog!

Monday--ribs, homemade potato salad, cole slaw
Tuesday--fajitas (I adjusted it to 8 servings), rice, beans
Wednesday--sweet-n-spicy kielbasa, mashed sweet potatoes, corn on the cob
Thursday--Mexican spaghetti (freezer meal), black eye peas, carrots
Friday--Shepherd's pie (freezer meal), rolls
Saturday/Sunday--leftovers

Easy Spanish Rice
I don't think I ever make Spanish rice the same twice. Last time I was planning it, I was trying to think of an easy way to make it. Now, I know you can buy the boxes of it, but I hadn't really found one I liked. Anyway, hubby went on and on about this rice, so I am posting it here or else I will forget about it.

All I did was get a box of Uncle Ben's chicken flavored rice and a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. I cooked the rice according to the directions, making one exception. My package called for 2 cups water. I measured the juice in the can of tomatoes and there was 3/4 c. I added the can of tomatoes with the juice in and 1 1/4 c water into the rice. So...I had my 2 cups of liquid and the tomatoes/green chilies and then cooked it according to the directions. It was sooo yummy!!

Mexican Spaghetti
**This makes a lot. We eat one meal off of it and freeze half of the sauce for later.
1 lb. hamburger meat
1 med. onion, diced
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can rotel
2 8 oz cans tomato suace
1 lb. spaghetti noodles

Brown hamburger meat with diced onion. Drain the meat and add the soup, rotel, and tomato sauce. Mix this all together and then pour it in with spaghetti that has been cooked according to package directions. Mix well and serve.

This would also be good made with chicken. Or...leave the meat out completely.


Sweet and Spicy Kielbasa
(I think I originally found this in a Fix it and Forget it cookbook)


1 cup packed brown sugar
6 tbsp. spicy mustard
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 pounds smoked kielbasa, cut into 2-inch pieces

Combine brown sugar, mustard and onion in crock pot; add kielbasa, stirring to evenly coat.
Cover and cook on low-heat 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.

Teppan Yaki Fried Rice
l clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. ginger
cooked rice (I think I used about 2 cups, cooked)
1/4 c. carrot, sliced
1/4 c. green onion, sliced
1 egg
1 T. butter
1 T. soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Toast garlic and ginger in a little bit of oil. Add the cooked rice and fry. Add the carrots and green onion and continue to cook. Scramble the egg in a bowl and add to the rice and vegetables. Toss to cook. Add butter, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Toss and serve.



10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

MMM..everything looks soo good!! Have a wonderful week!

Aisling said...

ribs sound good.

A Juggling Mum said...

Yummy menu, have a great week :)

Rachel xxx

AKA A Juggling Mum

Annie said...

I'm bookmarking these recipes, they all look really good.
Your menu looks delicious.
Hope you Monday is a great day!
♥~annie
My Life as Annie!

Sandra said...

Looks great, thanks for sharing :)

♥Sandra♥
Menu Plan Monday

Lorie said...

Thanks for sharing!

Christi said...

Sounds delicious!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a tasty week!

The Estrogen Files said...

Uuummmmm!! Everything looks so good. Is it time for dinner yet?

MorningSong said...

My first Menu Plan Monday too! Looks like you have a great menu. Mine seems lame after checking other menus! :o)