Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cannon Ball Chicken...

I got this recipe from my sister, who got it from her friend, Molly. So YUMMY!

Cannon Ball Chicken

The ingredients:

Chicken Breasts or thighs, rinsed and pat dry, 4-6
Chopped Green Chilies 2 small cans
Sharp cheddar cheese grated about 2 cups
cream of chicken soup 1 can
green chili enchilada sauce 1 can
Seasoning: 2 cloves fresh garlic, seasoned pepper, oregano 1/8 teaspoon, cilantro (optional--I omit),chili powder, generous shakes. Or if you have Adobo you can eliminate the oregano & cilantro from above.


Place rinsed, dried chicken in a shallow baking dish. Season both sides of chicken with seasoning. Scoop cream of chicken soup onto the chicken. It will be thick, so you may need to use more than I can. Add green chilies next, and top with sharp cheddar cheese. You can be generous with the cheese because after it is cooked it will create a very tasty sauce that you can scoop with tortilla chips.

Bake in oven at 350 for about 75 minutes. Cooking times vary so start checking chicken at 60 minute point.

Serve with warm tortilla chips or flour tortillas. Nice condiments include: chopped tomato, chopped onion, jalapeƱos, sour cream, guacamole, black or green onions.

*****Here is my sister's adapted version for the crockpot....
Add frozen chicken breasts (3 breasts) and seasonings. Add one cup water and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.

Remove chicken, chop and set aside.
Add remaining ingredients into liquid in crockpot and mix.
Add chicken and cook on low for one hour.

serve over rice.


*****and, here is how I made it.....
I cooked the chicken as my sister directed in the crockpot. I didn't want to wait another hour, so I had pre-heated the oven to 350. I followed her instructions about adding the remaining ingredients (except for cheese) and poured it all into a casserole dish. I topped it with the cheese and stuck it in the oven until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. You could even sitck it in the microwave to make it faster. I did serve it over rice and it was yummy. But, it would be good with chips or in burritos!!

Updated on Jan. 15:
Here is yet another way to cook this. I was planning on serving this over rice, so I took a short cut. I wasn't sure this would all fit in one oval corning ware dish, so I used two. You could just use a 9x13, but it has to cook covered, so I opted for the 2 Corning ware instead. I took 4 chicken breasts and cut them into small pieces. I put two breasts in each dish. I sprinkled in some salt (I didn't use the other spices this time), added one can of the soup, one can of the green chilies, and half of the can green enchilada sauce into each dish. This is the lazy part. I didn't want to cook rice separately, so I added it in, too. I put 1 cup of rice in each dish along with 1 1/4 cups of water. I stirred it all up and put it in the oven covered and baked for 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Once it was done (be sure to check it first), I took it out and added the cheese and then put it back in the oven for the cheese to melt. It worked perfectly!

3 Comments:

Tammy said...

Yum. I'm going to print this recipe out!

Sweet Pea said...

Oh, thank you so much for posting this! *hugs* It sounds incredibly good!

I think the hubby will love it- expect to see it on my menu plan soon!

- SP

Audra said...

It is yummy! I love this recipe and even more that I can make it in the crock pot. Love ya Can!