Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Healthy blueberry banana muffins

Yesterday I decided to try my hand at coming up with some healthy muffins (as the vanilla loaf cake that my husband bought at Safeway for the boys was calling our name!). I think the results were tasty enough to share! These would have been even lower in fat without the flax seeds, but I decided to add them in for added fiber. I used egg whites and applesauce to keep them cholesterol free and agave nectar because it is low on the glycemic index.



1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon zest
3 large ripe bananas
3/4 cup agave nectar
3 Tablespoons of liquid egg whites (can use 1 large egg, slightly beaten)
1/2 cup applesauce (can use 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted)-----> I used pineapple sauce this time because I had some
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen blueberries, do not thaw)
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line the muffin tray with paper cups.
2. Combine flour, oats, flax seeds, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Use a whisk to mix together and make a well in the center.
3. In another bowl, mash bananas; add agave nectar, egg and applesauce (or melted butter); mix well. Pour mixture into well. Mix batter until just moistened; do not over mix.
4. Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour and gently fold into batter.
5. Fill prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full bake in the oven for 18-20 min or until its golden brown. Remove and cool on wire rack.

*Please note. These stick to the paper cups when warm, but once they cool completely they no longer stick.

3 Comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Does it say anything about my cooking style if I said that about 35% of your ingredients were pretty much greek to me???

LOL

Hugs my friend!
Julie

Candi said...

LOL, Julie. I think it was from Tina that I learned about agave nectar. It really is tasty! It isn't cheap, though. However, I found it at Costco recently and it is about half the price there versus what I was paying at the grocery store. If you wanted to try the muffins, you can just substitute sugar for the agave nectar and leave out the flax seeds. You'd likely know/have the other ingredients or the substitutions I listed. Lucas likes these muffins, but since Logan doesn't like nuts/seeds, he doesn't like them.

The Domestic Princess said...

Those look so good! I have to make these