Thursday, May 7, 2009

Noticeable progress....

It has been a while since I've updated on the kitchen remodel. We FINALLY have some noticeable progress. I was telling hubby that you can actually tell we've done some work now instead of just telling people "we've applied 3 applications of mud with sanding in between each, we've applied 2 coats of primer, and painted". All of that is time consuming, but it doesn't really show how much work you've done. Since taking this picture, we've even made more progress. The hole for the sink is cut and the sink is in place (not fastened down, but in place). Previously, there was nothing in between the stove and dishwasher and there was nothing to provide support for the counter top over the dishwasher. We've painted plywood and placed it in between the two. That gives the counter top the support that it needs and keeps me from seeing the insulation around the dishwasher that was driving me insane! You can't really tell in the picture that the board isn't between the stove and dishwasher, but it isn't. Also, whoever put the gas line in for the stove didn't think it through very well. It is so high up with the cut off valve sticking out so much that the stove can not be pushed against the wall. You can probably tell this in the picture. The stove sticks out a good 4-5 inches. Since this picture, we've pulled the stove out and painted the wall behind it. I knew that being able to see the green drywall would drive me insane. Anyway, here is the latest. I also included a couple from before the counter top was on.





The walls on each end are also painted with the new color we are using. I love it! The goal for the next couple of days is to get the plumbing hooked up for the sink and dishwasher. We have a t-ball game followed by an HOA meeting tonight, so we likely won't get any work done today. In case you forgot what it looked like before, see here. It certainly isn't a top of the line kitchen, but it is a major improvement if you ask me! And the best thing----no leaks!!

Oh, I also realize that some outlets are crooked. We'll go back and fix that. All in all, I'm pretty proud that we have done this work on our own and it is looking pretty good if you ask me!

3 Comments:

Christi said...

Wow - what a difference! I can't wait to see it when it's all completed.

Tammy said...

I love what you've done so far. It doesn't even look like the same place! This is so much lighter, brighter, and airier looking.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Sreamlined in choices and functional, I think you'll love using it!

Lori