Sunday, May 3, 2009

Embarrassing....

I'm starting to feel totally overwhelmed by the state that my house is in. With the kitchen torn apart, there are bits of things that don't belong in nearly every room in my house. I have no motivation to clean the house, because even if I clean the living room, bedrooms, and bathrooms, the house STILL isn't clean. Really, they all desperately need to be cleaned, but I just don't have it in me to clean them and then sit down to them still looking messy.

However, the pantry was in such bad shape that you couldn't even get into it. Everything that normally goes under my kitchen sink is now in my pantry in 2 trash bags. So, I decided that I would at least tackle that today (since we sprayed cleaner on the floor to remove the adhesive from the previous linoleum and have to wait on that before we can proceed in the kitchen).

I didn't stop once I got the things on the floor organized. I moved on to the shelves. Oh my....this is the embarrassing part. You see, I have this slight need to stock up when I see a sale. Only thing is, I'll buy it just because it is a good deal and have intentions of using, but never do. So, today I purged my pantry of all the things that we weren't using up (had opened and used part of but still had some left), all the things that were expired, etc.. Wanna guess how much I had in there? Yeah....embarrassing....a whole 40 GALLON contractor bag FULL!!

I vowed to hubby that once my kitchen is put back together, I will do my best to stop that habit. I'm also bad about buying tons of various snacks and I've really started cutting back on that. The amount of junk I used to let my boys eat is embarrassing and I'm working on that, too. I still have a lot of stuff because I can't bring myself to throw it all out (suckers and hard candy that I only allow occasionally), but it is major progress.

4 Comments:

Teri said...

way to go! Isn't purging so refreshing??

Tammy said...

Great job! It feels good to get rid of the unneeded.

How close is your kitchen to being done?

Candi said...

Tammy, I'll be posting an update on the kitchen soon. We still have a ways to go, but this weekend we made great progress....noticeable progress!

Christi said...

Great job! I can't wait to see it when it's all put back together. And, I want to see pics of the pantry, too - you know my fascination w/pantries!