Monday, March 23, 2009

Progress on the kitchen.....

When we started moving everything around, Lucas wasn't very happy about it. He seems to be better now, but he is still asking us to "put the kitchen back". He calls the little area in the basement that we set up our "basement kitchen". I went and bought an electric skillet last night so I would have another cooking option besides the crockpot, microwave, and toaster oven. So far, it is working out. We ate all the casseroles I had prepared, but still have all the ground beef.

Logan got to make the first hole and he was VERY excited about it. He wanted to keep helping, but with 4 adults already in a tiny kitchen it wasn't realistic. Plus, I was afraid he would get hurt. I mean, drywall is typically a little heavy, but adding that texture and bricks to the wall made it really heavy.....just ask my dad. I hit him in the head with a piece of it while tossing it in at the dump!! What can I say, I was excited to get it thrown away!!

Anyway, here are some pictures of our progress so far. Looking at these pictures, I realized that it looks a lot worse in person. The fake bricks were painted bright red and the spacing wasn't realistic.....they just really bothered me. Oh, let's not forget the avocado green sink!! Needless to say, I didn't like my kitchen!

Before (these were taken after the leaks started, so the holes were cut in the walls for that):



Logan making the first hole:


The culprit of all this:


The end of day 1:


The tooth fairy even stopped by to see the action on day 3:


I didn't get pictures of some days because you couldn't tell much of a difference. Those days we worked on running electrical wires, installing Pex, and installing a dryer vent.

Here is where we are at now. One week after demo started. New drywall is up and ready for us to tape and mud.


You may notice that we really opened the kitchen up. The half wall (with a counter top and overhead cabinets) that separated the kitchen and dining room is GONE! This week we will continue working. Today we will tape and mud and start sanding the cabinets. I really wish we could afford to buy new ones, but we can't. I think painting them will make a big difference, though. I'll keep you posted on our progress!

4 Comments:

Teri said...

Wow! I can't wait to see the "new" kitchen! I think that once you get the cabinets painted, they will feel new & you'll be very happy with the outcome! :)

Audra said...

WOW! That looks so much better. So much bigger. You did a great job. I can't wait to see the updates.

Nicole said...

The kitchen is coming around really well. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

We need to see more progres pictures. Post some soon. Love Dad and Carla