Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Being sick is hard to do....

My sweet Lucas is sick. It actually all started a little over a week ago. Logan got sick on Sunday and was fine by Monday. I think it was Thursday when Logan got a cough and that night ended up throwing up after gagging while coughing. Then Lucas woke up and threw up on Friday morning and was fine by about 1PM. Now here we are on Tuesday and Lucas is sick again. I HATE seeing my boys sick and miserable.

Yesterday we went out to dinner and Lucas refused to eat. On the way home, he was whining (which is common for Lucas), but this Momma knew that this whine was different. He was saying something hurt, but wouldn't tell us what. I was driving, but glanced back and saw him touching his stomach. I kept assuring him we were going home and were only 2 blocks away! We keep a collapsible bowl in our van for throw up emergencies and I had my husband get it ready "just in case". Of course, he gave me a hard time and thought I was over-reacting. Lucas let out a cough and for some reason that tends to be my clue that they are going to be sick. Anyway, we did make it home.

The boys were all about to get in the shower and I was in my bedroom printing out some coupons. My husband called for me and I knew what had happened even though I didn't see it or hear it. Lucas was standing in the hallway and had thrown up a little bit. I hesitated just a moment while I tried to decide if I should just wait in the hall with him for what I knew was coming or make a mad dash to the toilet. We were literally right outside of the bathroom, so I picked him up and headed in. Too late! That moment of hesitation cost me a good scrubbing of the bathroom. While I am thankful that we now have tile in the bathroom rather than the carpet that was in there when we moved in, I didn't like how the throw up splattered everywhere as it hit the floor. And when I say throw up, I mean projectile ALL O.V.E.R the bathroom. I got Lucas stripped down and into the shower while I got to work cleaning up the mess.

After his shower, he seemed to be better. So much so that I had to keep asking him to stop running and jumping. We put him in bed and it was a bit of a struggle. I brought a baby monitor down stairs to hear him in case he got sick again. It wasn't long before I thought I heard something. When I headed towards the stairs, I thought I heard a leak. I stopped and looked around and realized the sound was above my head (Lucas' room). Ummm. Yeah. This is nasty, but we have wood floors and the throw up was going between the boards! I ran upstairs and Lucas was at his door covered in throw up. I took him to the bathroom and he got sick a few more times. He refused to let me catch his throw up in a bowl, so I sat in the bathroom on the edge of the tub with him for a while. When he throws up, he lifts his feet, so I literally have to hold him over the toilet with one hand and tilt his head down with the other. Good thing he only weighs 30 pounds!! What is it with kids and tilting their head back when they throw up, anyway? He sipped some ginger ale and I gave him a chewable Pepto Bismol, but it all came up in a matter of minutes.

My poor guy was so tired and lethargic that he finally fell asleep in my arms as I sat on the tub. I carried him to his bed and he didn't even wake. We put a towel on his bed in case he got sick again. He did, but not too bad and pretty much didn't even wake. We changed out the towel and he didn't even seem to notice. At about 4 this morning, I heard a cry and then, "I need my drink". We typically let him take a cup of water to his room, but I took it out because every time he drank anything he was throwing up again. I just wanted his stomach to get a rest. I went in and let him have a little drink, but he cried and cried and wanted to keep his cup. I emptied most of the water out and let him keep the cup. He went back to sleep and didn't wake until 10:30!! It was to the point that I was getting worried about him and was just about to peek in and check on him. I hadn't done so up until then because I didn't want to wake him. However, just as I got to his door, I heard his feet hit the floor and I opened the door before he could even get to it!

So far, he has barely drank anything and eaten one graham cracker (he refused the saltines). He has gone through periods of play and then comes and lays down to rest. This is him currently.

He NEVER naps, so this is how I know he REALLY doesn't feel well. He has been running a low grade temp and has gagged some, but hasn't thrown up anymore since during the night. I'm hoping his little body is fighting away this nasty bug while he rests. Being sick is hard....on both the boy and his Momma!


Teri said...

feel better, Lucas!

Tammy said...

:( I hope he feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Lucas , Your PaBob wants you to feel better real soon!!!! O.K. Buddy. I Love You!!!!

Candi said...

Thanks, everyone! He seems to be better. It has now been over 24 hours since he threw up! Yay!