Saturday, September 19, 2009

Finally. Yes, finally....

Our kitchen is finally mostly finished! I am so happy about it, that I can't even wait to show you pictures! Painting the cabinets was very, very time consuming. Each piece needed 3 coats of primer and a coat of paint. For the doors, we could only paint one side at a time so the 17 doors took F.O.R.E.V.E.R.!

There are 5 drawers that still need to be painted. Our walls and trim were off white, and we painted the ceiling and cabinets white, so we now need to paint the window trim and pantry door trim white so they will match. We also still need to install baseboards.
Soon, we will install new lights in there and continue the new flooring into the pantry.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. Remember, this isn't my dream kitchen. We did this on a major el cheapo budget (no high end products afforded here), but I am pleased with the results. Matter of fact, this was not EVEN in our plans (considering it happened just as my husband found a new job after being without one for 3.5 months!!), but when a leak happened and half the kitchen had to be torn out anyway we figured we might as well tear the rest out as well. Our homeowner's ins. gave us some money and we used that along with some of our own to do the remodel. I'll have to add up the cost of it, but I think we did really well. We had to buy several tools, but I won't add those in because now we have them and can use them elsewhere in the house. I think that we did what was right for the house. The housing market in this area has completely bottomed out. Since we bought right before this happened, we owe more than it is worth. Spending a lot of money in the kitchen wasn't an option, but the update is much appreciated by me!!

In case you don't recall, this kitchen was ripped down to the studs and built back up. We put in new wiring, new plumbing, tore down a non-load bearing wall, and built it all back up again! Aside from a little help from my dad and step-mom in the demo, plumbing, and wiring, I am so excited to say we did this ourselves! Considering neither of us have any experience in this type of thing, I'd say we did a pretty good job. My poor husband apologized on more than one occasion, saying this just wasn't his type of work....he is more the computer geek type! I'm proud of him. It wasn't easy, but he did the bulk of the work himself.

We took some pretty large breaks because doing this type of work isn't easy to begin with, but when you have no clue what you are doing, it is even harder. Not to mention stressful!

I'm sure you can remember what our kitchen looked like. Stuck in the 70s and never felt clean. The avocado green sink and faux brick painted bright red added just the right touch of Christmas cheer....LOL! I know the picture isn't great, but can you believe that it looks better than it did in real life. Trust me on this one!

And now, what I'm sure you really wanted to see anyway......

Before:

Here is Logan knocking the first hole in the wall. It also gives a close up look of the nastiness of the wall! I hated that brick!!

Here is what it looked like after the end of demo.

Drum roll please!! Here is what it looks like now......

And now for a side by side comparison:


As a side note: The cow cookie jar on top of the fridge was hubby's grandmother's and the teapots above the sink were my grandmother's.

Did you make it all the way to the end? Now I need some input from all of you. See how one wall is off white and the other is blue? We are trying to decide if we want the off white wall painted white or blue? I kind of like the two different colors together, but I also really love the blue color. What do you think?

20 Comments:

Tammy said...

Oh gosh, this doesn't even look like the same place! Well done guys! I think I like the blue...

Anonymous said...

Hey Candi,

I actually love the blue and what you have done with the kitchen is amazing, great job :)

I would probably leave it blue and leave the one wall white, I think it would look pretty neat either way :)

Your Canuck pal,

Terry

Anonymous said...

I like the two different colors in the dining part. It looks really nice!

Are you not done painting the cupboards yet? I was just wondering why you have a couple of boards that are still dark.

What a difference, though!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Nevermind! I just re-read your post and see that you say they still need to be painted. Sorry, I missed that before. :)

Christi said...

Candi (and Shaine) WOW!! It looks awesome! You did a great job! It looks like it's in a different house.

I know you're thrilled to have it done. Yay!

Traci said...

WOW! It looks great! I like the two different colored walls. I think it would look really good white!

Sandy said...

AWESOME!!! I love the two toned look, and plan to do that in my house when its done. If you don't like the white or offwhite, find an accent color from the painting or the teapots and paint the wall a color for some POP!. I love it, though!!! Great job!

GM said...

Wow! what a transformation! It looks amazing. I love watching HGTV and seeing before and after photos. Great job! ... GrammieMommy

Teri said...

I think you did an awesome job, Candi! I think I would make the last wall blue & maybe someday put in some crown molding. That would look sharp!

Teri said...

PS - what is your color of blue? I'm looking to do my dining room in a similar shade

Candi said...

Teri, the paint is Behr and is called Rainwashed.

Yes. I think we are going to do crown molding. It beats touching up the paint around the ceiling....LOL!

Erin said...

Looks great!!! I am impressed. I kind of like the contrast of the white and blue. IMO. A huge improvement...can you come to my kitchen ?????

Dawn said...

Wow...that is a dramatic and awesome change. We are contemplating redoing our kitchen. Hopefully our change will be just as radical and great.

Melissa said...

You guys did a GREAT job! We had a similar experience in our house and ended up remodeling a large part of our house ourselves. We're like you - no experience in building houses, but it was so rewarding! You will love having that kitchen and knowing you did it yourselves. Excellent job!

Beth P. said...

WOW!! Gorgeous new kitchen! What a fabulous job you did, I am thrilled for you. I know I would just be so excited, its beautiful!

Angie said...

It's very nice, Candi! I know it was a long time coming, but truly...for as much cooking as you like to do, you deserve the pretty kitchen!

Hazel Nut said...

Wow, that looks wonderful! You did a great job! I watched an episode of This Old House last month & they were showing the process of repainting the cupboards, what a process.

We started our kitchen about 4 years ago(in Oct.) and we are still not done with it. It was in working condition within 3 weeks, and has mostly been finished for about 2 years, but we still have "the little things" to finish up.

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

Wow, you have done an amazing job! Kuddos to both of you for all of your hard work. I wish my hubby could do more of these types of projects, but he builds computers for fun instead.

Robyn said...

Looks amazing! I wish I could do my kitchen, it's SO from the 70's! It has never been redone since the house was built. Just no money to do it! I like the two tones. It looks awesome! Nice tackle!

Robyn
Mom All Day
http://momallday.blogspot.com/

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Wow! That looks fabulous! Great job!