Monday, November 19, 2007

Menu Plan Monday--Thanksgiving Edition



Things were a little off last week. We were out running errands a couple of nights and got home too late to cook. Then my husband got sick and didn't feel like eating, so the boys and I just ate what was around the house...rather than me cooking. So, I have two carryover meals. Not sure we will get to all of these this week...it all depends on how much leftovers we have from Thanksgiving!!

Speaking of Thanksgiving, it will just be my little family. It has been for the last few years, actually. We will still have a traditional meal, but I'm taking a few short cuts. I have also chosen easy meals for this week.

If you get a chance, check back later in the week to see if I make it to my 100th post. I'm in the process of getting some goodies together for a giveaway!!

*=new recipe

  • Tuesday--Cheesy tater soup* and sausage and cheese muffins*--I found both on Windows Wide Open--I can't wait to try these!! I have tried a similar soup, but made with all milk instead of the chicken broth.
  • Wednesday--Maid-rites* (similar to sloppy joes)--thanks for the recipe, Marla and tater tots
  • Thursday--turkey breast, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole (recipe below), corn bread dressing, turkey gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, layered salad (I'm cutting the recipe in half, using real bacon, and omitting the mushrooms and eggs)*, Rhodes rolls, pumpkin pie
  • Friday--leftovers
  • Saturday--oven fried chimis *(I'll use some leftover shredded beef from the freezer), Spanish rice, refried beans

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

Sweet Potato Casserole

I got this recipe out of a church cookbook that my sister got me as a wedding gift.

3 c. sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed or 2 (16 oz.)cans, drained **
1c. sugar
1t. vanilla
1/2 c. margarine
1/3c. milk
2 eggs
Warm sweet potatoes in saucepan. Add remining ingredients and stir until blended. pour into a 2 quart casserole dish.

topping:
1 c. light brown sugar
1/3c. softened butter
1/2c. flour
1c. chopped nuts
marshmallows (enough to cover top).
Combine topping ingredients until crumbly. Crumble topping over potato mixture. Top with marshmallows (enough to cover mixture). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

**I have found that this turns out better with fresh sweet potatoes rather than canned. With canned, it seemed too runny. Just get enough sweet potatoes to have 3 cups when they are mashed. To bake them, cut the ends off and bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour. Let them cool, and peel them.

5 Comments:

Nicole said...

All I can say is "YUMMO"!! :)

Natalie said...

Our Thanksgiving is just our little family too. It's my first time cooking a whole Thanksgiving dinner. Eek! :) Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Lorie said...

Sounds good! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sandra said...

Yummy, everything sounds sooo good.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Audra said...

Sounds GREAT! I am trying pumpkin cheesecake off the splenda website, but the pumpkin pie recipe you found sounds delicious. You'll have to let me know. Happy Thanksgiving!