Monday, September 24, 2007

Menu Plan Monday...


This weekend I made something I haven't had since I was a little girl. I spent a lot of time with my dad's parents growing up and I loved helping my Nanny in the kitchen. She made homemade peach fried pies and I always crimped the edges. A few years before Nanny passed away, she sent me her recipe box with lots of family favorites. She hand wrote little notes to me on some of the recipes. A few weeks ago I opened up the box and there was a note from her in there and it just made me cry. The more I looked through it, the harder I cried. I really miss her. I love having her recipe box and when I make something out of it, it really brings back memories!! So, I made up a batch of her peach fried pies and they were just as I remembered them.....DELICIOUS!! If you want the recipe, scroll down under this week's MPM!



Here they are all dressed up with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with homemade apricot preserves


* = new recipe

Monday--burgers, sweet potato fries

Tuesday--honey mustard chicken, vegetable ribbon pasta*

Wednesday--meatballs with cream sauce, pasta, carrots

Thursday--chicken divan*, Jasmine rice, salad

Friday--ham and cheese stuffed manicotti, green beans, salad

Saturday--steaks with pepper sauce*, Jasmine rice, steamed broccoli, buttery carrots

Sunday--leftovers

For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!
*************************************************************************************************
Homemade Fried Pies
2 c. flour
1/2 c. Crisco
dash of salt
1 t. baking powder
5 T. water (I used 6)
Mix all together. Roll out and cut crusts the size of a saucer. (I placed a bowl upside down on mine to cut it.) Put two tablespoons of cooked down fruit (we like peaches...even better if you can get them from a local farmer!!) in center of rounds. Fold and pinch edges together to seal. (I used the edge of a fork once I sealed it to give it that crimped look.) Fry in one inch deep oil. Turn and cook other side. When both sides are browned, remove from oil to a napkin to drain.

21 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure would like to have one. You did really good. LOVE DAD

Anonymous said...

wow, the fruit pies sound delicious. And dad is proud, what could be better? :) Great meal plan.

Leeann said...

What an amazingly sweet gift from your grandma. She sounds like she was very wise!
Leeann

Anonymous said...

what a lovely post and what a lovely way to remember your Nanny! your menu sounds great and i think we will have to try the peach fried pies very very soon! thank you for sharing and have a great week! ~jenn

Heather said...

Looks look so good. Your story was so sweet, you almost had me in tears.
Your menu looks great. Have a great week.

Jessica Snell said...

mmm, those pies look like what I'd call "sweet empanadas". :) Yum, yum.

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

Michelle said...

Great job on the peach pies.Thank you for posting the recipe.I will think of Nanny whenever I make it.what a lovely gift from your Nanny to give you.
Have a great week.

Maggie said...

That is so nice, I usually keep all my recipes on the computer but now I want to make a recipe box to pass on. Thank you!

Nicole said...

Omgosh.. those pies look so yumm! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! The pies look sooooo good. Can't wait to make a steak, too.

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Somewhere In The Sun said...

What a sweet post. I used to make pies like this with my dad when I was little. Such a precious gift you have of your Grandmother's recipes!

Christi said...

The fried pies are gorgeous! I'm glad they turned out. Did they taste just like you remembered?

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

What a wonderfully special memory of your nanny! Thank you so much for sharing your sweet story!

Those fried pies look awesome! I will definitely be trying those!

EmmyJMommy said...

Thanks for posting the pie recipe...my grandmother used to make apricot pies, and we LOVED them! She didn't have a written down recipe, so my aunt just used frozen pie crusts...I will now be able to do a scratch recipe!

Anonymous said...

Between the story and the photos, I really want to try those pies!!

mamaerica said...

Because I'm sure you need something else to do....have you thought of making a scrapbook/recipe book with those recipes? It would be wonderful to save all those notes, plus your memories in a book for your own grandchildren!

Marla said...

Ok Candi---you've made my daughter's and my week!!!! I have been looking for something like this for a while now!!! I'm going to try and make some but with caramel and apples in them!!!

Love the story too!!

The Frugal Apprentice said...

Oh boy do those fruit pies look incredibly delicious!

The ham and cheese manicotti sound wonderful too!

Have a very blessed week,

Sherry

Anonymous said...

That is the same exact recipe that my husband's grandmother has passed down on to me. Like you, Rob has many memories of his grandma's fried pies. Hers does have a thin coating of powder sugar icing.

I love your pics of it....makes me want some dessert!

Samantha

Reighnie said...

Those look yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Tammy said...

awww, how sweet! what a treasure for nanny to give you! I loved going down there also! it was so much fun! i printed off that recipe and will try them out soon!
tammy (stegall) christopher