Saturday, January 30, 2010

My chicken and dumplings creation....a winner!


Tonight I made chicken and dumplings for dinner. I started out looking at a recipe, but then didn't follow it. I actually combined bits and pieces of a few recipes to make my own. I tasted mine before my husband tasted his and I told him that I needed to write the recipe down. He said, "I thought you followed a recipe". Well, I am known to not follow recipes, but I typically follow them more closely than I did this time around. He took one bite of his and told me to write the recipe down now. "No time to waste. I don't want you to forget this", he said. After dinner, he told me it was the best chicken and dumplings he had ever eaten and one of the best soups, too! Woohoo! So, I thought I would share my creation with you all and have it here so I know exactly where to find it! I've made chicken and dumplings many times and always seem to have issues with the dumplings. This time, they were cooked through and so yummy! I don't think I've ever made chicken and dumplings the same way twice, but my husband told me he thinks I should make sure to make them like this from now on!

Chicken and Dumplings

13 cups water
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 teaspoons Knorr chicken bouillon (I buy mine at Costco)


Combine above ingredients and bring to a boil. Continue until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and shred. Add back to soup.

Add in:
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
2 bay leaves
2 carrots peeled and sliced
2 ribs celery and their leaves, sliced (I left the leaves whole and tossed them in...they broke down in the boiling soup)
2 small onions, diced
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup

Stir and simmer until veggies are tender. Remove bay leaves.  Once veggies are tender, add in

3/4 cup frozen peas

For dumplings:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 T butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk

Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter or margarine and cut in to dry ingredients until crumbly. Stir in milk. Drop dumplings by rounded teaspoon into boiling soup. Do NOT stir! Move pot in a circular motion gently, then place lid on. Simmer for 15 minutes and do NOT remove lid until time is up!

Serve and enjoy!

3 Comments:

Audra said...

Looks and sounds Delicious! Kate said we should have that tomorrow. So, Maybe we will. We tried something new today. Lasagna soup. I'll tell ya about it later.

Tammy said...

This looks really good!

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

That looks absolutely delicious. May have to see if I can tweak it to make a kosher version (can not mix meat and dairy). I think there may be a way. It looks like a close version of my mother's Matzoh Ball Soup - YUM!