Thursday, January 14, 2010

Poor Man's Turtles....

I originally posted this post on December 4, 2007. Since then, I've had lots and lots of hits to my blog for "poor man's turtles". Here I thought I was making up a name for them, but apparently plenty of others call them that as well! Anyway, we make these every single Christmas. This year I made them for a friend that doesn't like pecans, so I did them with cashews (the only nut she really likes). I also did some with M&Ms because Logan doesn't like nuts. Both of the new varieties were also tasty! I also took a picture to go along with the recipe, because I like pictures with recipes!!
*****************************************************************
Easy Turtle Candies aka Poor Man's Turtles

I got this recipe from a friend on a message board a few years back. It is soooo easy to make and super yummy. My sister has a recipe called Poor Man's Eclairs and I joked with her saying these are Poor Man's Turtles.

Poor Man's Turtles

Ingredients:

* 30 rolo candies, removed from wrapper
* 30 pecan halves, toasted (the original recipe didn't say to toast them, but I think they taste better)
* 30 butter snap pretzels (they are square)


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place pretzels on a baking sheet and place one rolo on each pretzel.
3. Place in oven and bake for about 4 minutes or until chocolate becomes shiny.
4. Remove from oven. Using a pecan half, press down on the rolo to smash it out to cover the pretzel.
5. Cool completely.

2 Comments:

Teri said...

my MIL makes these at Christmas time! Sometimes, she'll just use the chocolate melting circles instead of making them true turtles w/ the caramel candies, but still very yummy & easy! :)

Melissa said...

I'm planning on making these next Christmas. I put them on my treats list shortly after Christmas because I was looking for something that was super quick and easy that the kids could make themselves.