Thursday, June 11, 2009

It doesn't work.....

Just a few minutes ago, I was sitting on the couch and scooped Lucas up to snuggle him. He laid his head against me and stuck his thumb in his mouth. He sucked it momentarily, pulled it from his mouth, and sat up and looked at me. He said, "It doesn't work, it doesn't work", as he held his little thumb up in front of my face. "What doesn't work?", I asked. "My thumb. It doesn't work. It needs new batteries".


Lucas started sucking his thumb very early on. I remember him sticking his thumb into his pacifier to suck them both. At first he would suck on any finger he managed to get in his mouth, but eventually he figured out how to get his thumb. My husband did not want him sucking his thumb and would pull it from his mouth when ever he saw him doing it. When Lucas was in his bed and I would check on him, there he would be with his little thumb in his mouth. I told my husband he was losing this battle.


(2.5 months old and he has mastered the art!)

At 3, Lucas still sucks his thumb, but I have noticed that he doesn't near as much as he used to. To tell the truth, him sucking his thumb was nice because I never had to worry about keeping up with a pacifier. Of course, taking a pacifier away is a lot easier than taking a thumb away. I'm not worried at this point. I think he is beginning to outgrow it and I think that may be why he told me it doesn't work. My baby is growing up.

2 Comments:

Audra said...

That is so funny! Sarah says Hilarious! Does he not have enough sucking power?

Tammy said...

Oh yes, he'll outgrow it (spoken from a mama who's had a serious thumb sucker child). ;)

He's a darling.......