Monday, January 7, 2008

Menu Plan Monday...


Last week was a little off. Monday and Tuesday we were out kind of late and ended up just having faster things at home than what I had planned, so I have two carryover meals from last week.  


Here is a picture of the chili relleno casserole. I've made it lots of times and we really like it. Now, it isn't low in fat, but it is low in carbs!! The recipe says to use a 9x13, but I use an 8x8. Also, I use three 4.25 oz. cans of the chilies.

We also managed to try out a few new recipes.  Here is a picture of the veggies ready to be roasted for my Ratatouille Soup. Now, I do like eggplant, but I think next time I make this soup, I'll omit it. Maybe add some yellow squash to it. Perhaps I didn't roast it long enough, but it had a funny texture to it.  But, overall, I think this a very good soup.  I especially like that I can have almost 2 cups of it and it is only 32 grams of carbs!!


Ratatouille Soup (from this cookbook):

1 small eggplant (3/4 pound), cubed (4 cups)
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, sliced
1 T. olive oil
1 t. dried Italian seasoning, crushed
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
1 cup dried cavatelli (I used rotini because I already had some)
1 (15 oz.) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped

1.  In large, shallow roasting pan combine the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and garlic.  In small bowl combine the olive oil, Italian seasoning, 1/4 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper; drizzle over vegetables, tossing to coat.  Bake in a 425° oven about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once.
2.  Meanwhile in a dutch oven combine the broth and 3 cups water.  Bring to boiling; add pasta.  Return to boiling.  Cook about 12 minutes or until tender.  Reduce heat.  Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and roasted vegetables.  Heat through.  

We also tried the spaghetti carbonara.  It was soooo good!!  Both boys loved it, too, so it will be a repeat in this house.  There is a lot leftover, so we can have it for lunch, too!!  

Spaghetti Carbonara (from this cookbook)

1 lb. dry spaghetti (I used one box of this)
1 lb. cooked bacon, crumbled (I love this---less mess and I get an awesome deal on it at Costco!!)
1 cup frozen petite peas
2.5 cups heavy cream
1 c. fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1 T. fresh Italian parsley chopped (I just sprinkled in some dried)
freshly ground black pepper

1.  Bring large pot of water to boil.  Add pasta and cook until al dente.  Drain and set pasta aside.
2.  In large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat bacon pieces until they begin to sizzle.  Add peas and cream.  Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat slightly, and boil gently for about 8 minutes.  Sprinkle in Parmesan cheese, stirring continuously until blended and sauce is slightly thickened.
3.  Mix pasta and sauce together in large serving bowl.  Garnish with chopped parsley and black pepper to taste.


Now---on to this week's menu:

*=new recipe

Monday--chicken tacos (shredded chicken with green chilies), salad for me, beans and rice for the boys

Tuesday--steak, twice baked cauliflower*, green beans

Wednesday--chicken sandwiches (similar to Marlboro Man's second favorite sandwich), chips (I'll have mine in non-sandwich form with a salad)--I'm using lemon butter chicken that I have in my freezer and microwaveable bacon. I know it won't taste the same, but I'm really trying to use only things I have on hand this week.

Thursday--Beef stroganoff, brown rice, steamed veggies

Friday--Marla's maid-rites (on buns for the boys--whole wheat tortilla for me-->kind of like sloppy joes), tater tots (for the boys), salad

Lunches:

Breakfasts:
  • cheese toast
  • oatmeal
  • toast and jam for boys
  • toast, eggs, bacon
  • pancakes for boys

For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

9 Comments:

Sarah said...

Please post the twice-baked cauliflower recipe if it is a success! I'm also doing low(er)carb - I'm still breastfeeding so mine is lower carb, but hubby is doing strict low-carb - recipes and am trying to use more cauliflower in place of potatoes. Have a great week!

Forgetfulone said...

I would also like to see the cauliflower recipe. Your menu sounds awesome!

Bonnie said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I have to say, I love your header ! That is so cute ... what a great idea with the little hands !!

My husband makes a non cream carbonara that is really yummy. different than creamy carbonara but yummy still ! here's the link if you are interested ... http://robogiles.blogspot.com/2007/12/quick-and-easy-recipe.html

Christi said...

Your menu sounds yummy!

I'm definitely going to try that cauliflower.

Anonymous said...

Your week sounds yummy! And that chilis rellenos casserole photo is making my mouth water! LOL!! I always ask my mom to fix chilis rellenos on my brthday...I love it!

Jenny-up the hill
Up the Hill Gang

Nicole said...

Omgosh, the chili relleno casserole looks really good :) Have a nice week!

Unknown said...

Carbonara is one of our favorite meals!! It is scrumptious! Love all of your yummy pics. Thanks for checking out Clappy Shoes!

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious.

Katz said...

Great menu! Have a wonderful week!