Monday, November 30, 2009

The Christmas tree....

On Saturday, we got our tree up and decorated. Does it make me a bad mom that I waited until Lucas was in bed to do the decorating?? He was so excited just to have the tree up. He laid underneath it and talked about it all day. Once he was in bed, I shaped it and Logan and I decorated it. My husband helped some (like putting the angel on top), but it was mostly Logan and me. We were up pretty late getting it done, but it was so nice to sit on the love seat and cuddle with Logan admiring our hard work!When Lucas woke the next morning, he was very excited to see that the tree was decorated! We do Hallmark ornaments....we typically buy some each year, but my MIL sends each of us one yearly. She always asks for my help in deciding which ones to get for the boys. Funny thing is, I think we discuss in Oct. and then I totally forget which ones they are getting by Christmas time! Anyway, last year Lucas got a Pat Pat rocket ornament that plays the theme song. He loves it! I put it down low so that he can press the button all by himself. Logan and I had do some thinking before placing ornaments on the tree. The cute little snowmen with tiny twig arms went up high--those twigs can't withstand a curious 3 year old. I figured some ornaments would get broken, but I think we are already down 3 and the tree has only been up a full day!! They can mostly be put back together. Lucas broke the cover off of one of my Winnie the Pooh books (my MIL has been buying me this series ever since it first started in 1998!), so once I glue it on, the book will permanently be open. He is still touching the ornaments, but he is being more careful with them. He was pretty sad that he broke one. Logan broke one, too. He was a cranking the handle on one a little too hard and a bear's head popped off (it moved back and forth with the music)!! He was sad, too. I think they both learned their lesson that maybe the ornaments aren't toys after all. And momma learned a lesson that ornaments don't hold up well when they are dropped.

3 Comments:

Christi said...

I love their shirts - are these the ones they'll be wearing in the Christmas picture? Can't wait to see it!

Candi said...

Yes, Christi---I bought them for Christmas pictures. I decided to go with something that they will wear again (instead of sweaters that they hate to wear). I picked them up at The Children's Place. I love that they are the same colors, but not exactly the same.

Lily said...

LOL Oh, I was thinking at the beginning of this post that I was in awe that you can put up a tree and not worry about their curious little selves. I was thinking... "Man. I've gotta expect more of my kids." And then I got to the end. Whew. Makes me feel a bit better. Ok, so your kids touch the ornaments and break them, too.

You should have seen our tree last year. It had to be redecorated several times just because it looked SO bad. Eventually, the garland is in a bunch on one side, with some trailing to the floor. And the top third of the tree is the only part that has ornaments neatly distributed - because they can't reach them! The lower ornaments get rearranged so many times by little hands...