Friday, March 9, 2012

We chopped down the cherry tree!

Well, maybe we didn't actually do the chopping, but we did have it chopped down. We've planned on having it cut down for a while now. It's just that having such a large tree taken down isn't exactly the cheapest thing. But, it is done. The guy who did it for us said that it is very rare to see a cherry tree as large as ours was. I'll be honest, I was a bit sad to see it go (and before I even got to enjoy the pretty blossoms of it this spring), but it wasn't doing so great. After having it removed, we knew we did the right thing. There was a large amount of rot in the tree. It was starting to drop branches and it really was just a matter of time before a large portion of the tree could have fallen. Much better to just get it done than have to keep worrying when we get lots of rain or the wind picks up.


Here is a picture I took after the tree was down. I really was shocked to see how soft the center of the tree was!
Here is a picture to show how large it was. It towered over our three story town house. There is a ravine behind our house, so I couldn't back up far enough to get the whole tree in the picture (it is the one on the left), but you can see that it was much taller than our home (which is the one on the right)!
I had them cut some smaller pieces and I saved them to do crafts with the boys. :-)

0 Comments: