Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Injured on the job....

Last Friday I was vacuuming in the basement. Everything was going great until I noticed a little something that the vacuum wasn't picking up. I was going to do the same routine....you know the one! Pick up the said item and toss it back on the floor and run the vacuum over it again in hopes it picks it up this time. Well, it seems my vacuum had something different in mind.

I have a Kirby...actually we have 2. We purchased our new, shiny Sentria to replace our Generation 5 that is a few years old. Hmmm. Let me think. We bought the Generation 5 back in 98, maybe early 99. Hubby was actually selling them door to door and we decided to purchase from him...LOL! Anyway, when a young man showed up at my house almost a year ago with a can of air freshener in his hand and a van lingering around, I laughed and asked him if he sold Kirbys. Why, yes he did. He and I talked for a little bit, but I told him that my husband wasn't home and there was no way I'd be purchasing one since we already had one. He came back later and I wasn't home, but hubby was. Now, our Generation 5 still worked alright, but Sentria lured us in. She was shiny and new!! In reality, I think hubby just didn't have the heart to say no since he has been in the guys shoes before. So, the plan was that we would clean up the Generation 5 and sell it for a couple hundred. Well, living in a 3 level townhouse, I decided it might be nice to have a couple of vacuums. So, Sentria lives on the main level of the house and Generation 5 never leaves the basement.

Okay....back to last Friday....I was using Generation 5 and bent over to pick up the stray piece of lint/fuzz (or something??). I still had my hand on the handle, but let go for some reason while still bent over. If you have a Kirby, then you know what happens when you have the handle pulled back and let go. It pops back up to the upright position. Only problem is that my head was in the way. WHACK!!! The handle smacked me right on my temple! Ouch! What is worse is that I actually got a bruise from it! I think Generation 5 was a little upset at me for trying to force him to pick up that stray lint. At least it wasn't my sweet Sentria!!

7 Comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Candi, I'm sorry you got hurt but the picture you painted was funny!!!

Teri said...

Oh no! I'm glad you're ok! I probably would have cried just from being scared by what happened!

And PS - I want a second vacuum in our house, too! I have a "swivel sweeper" (infomercial) that I use on the non carpeted areas, but I would love to have a regular vacuum to keep upstairs and one for down...only having one is why our upstairs never gets vacuumed...because I can't haul it up there, therefore making it DH's job, therefore it never gets done! LOL :)

Tammy said...

We do the whole "2 vacuum" thing at our house too...so nice to not lug one up and down the stairs!

I'm sorry you were hurt. I guess the moral of the story is: Chores and housework are dangerous. Avoid both at all costs! ;)

Christi said...

Candi - LOL - this cracked me up!

Audra said...

I loved reading your story! Sorry you got hurt, but it was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

Candi, you are still as funny as ever. I love it and have always enjoyed your humor. I'm just glad you weren't hurt bad. I'm so glad you have 2 vacuums. That is a big blessing when there is more than 1 floor. Of courses I don't have that problem and truthfully, don't want to ever have more than one. Ce

Melissa said...

My friend, we are cut from the same cloth! I totally get the multiple vacuums thing! And, the on the job injury situation!