Saturday, June 28, 2008

Menu Plan Monday....


After not sharing any pictures last week, I have plenty to share this week!!

Last week we had salmon patties, mac and cheese and simple peas. It is a very easy meal (especially considering my hubby made the mac and cheese), but it all just tasted so good together!! My hubby likes to experiment with making mac and cheese and this recipe was a keeper. I'll post it below. For the salmon patties, I don't really have a recipe. For these, I used two cans of boneless, skinless salmon (the smaller ones). I typically use saltines in them, but I used Ritz because I was out of saltines. So, I put the two cans of drained salmon in a bowl, added two eggs, salt, pepper, and enough crushed crackers to where it held its shape when placed in a patty. Then just fry them up in some hot oil! So easy and good!! The peas were very tasty---as the name implies, they seem simple, but the taste is great. I used my teflon coated pan to make them and I think next time I would use my cast iron to help in the browning process. Still yummy!!


We also had red hot tuna melts. I had made them before, but it had been a very long time. I'll be making them again soon. They are very good and super simple to make!!


Another new thing was the juicy steaks. I was a bit skeptical about cooking a frozen steak, but it actually worked!! We have some steaks that aren't that great. I don't want to throw them away, so I've tried a few recipes to try to find one that makes them acceptable. This recipe is it!! Now, if I had a grill, I'd try them that way, but I don't, so cooking them in the broiler works for me!! I had to cook them longer than the 5-6 minutes per side. Hubby and I think that is because they were in the bottom of the deep freezer and likely frozen more solid than they would be in a regular freezer.


Another big hit were the green chicken enchiladas. They were so good. I love that enchiladas leave plenty of leftovers!! We got two meals off of this and hubby has enough for lunch tomorrow!! I cut the recipe in half since the boys weren't likely to eat this. Logan likes enchiladas, but he doesn't care for green chilies. That's fine-saved more for me!!


*=new recipe

Monday--Thai peanut chicken*, coconut lime rice* (didn't get to this last week)

Tuesday--taco salad with Cool Ranch Doritos

Wednesday--beef tips and noodles, steamed veggies, roasted red potatoes

Thursday--honey balsamic chicken, homemade spaetzle, salad

Friday--pretzel dogs*, tater tots, salad---->I'm sure we'll head into DC for fireworks, so this may be lunch instead of dinner
******************************************************

Mac and cheese!!
1 box (16 oz.) macaroni
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1.5 soup cans milk
2 cups shredded cheddar
additional shredded cheddar for the top


Boil the pasta in water with salt and olive oil. Leave a little firm. Drain and set aside. Pour the soup, milk, and 1 cup cheese into pot and stir until melted. Add the pasta back in and stir to coat. Put in a 9x13 dish and top with desired amount of shredded cheddar. Cook at 450 degrees until cheese starts to brown.

For more menu plan Monday fun, head on over to Laura's at I'm an Organizing Junkie!

6 Comments:

Sarah said...

Yum! Looks like a great menu and a great week! Last week's green chile enchiladas are a favorite at my house . . . going to college in New Mexico made me a big green chile fan; I can't get enough!

Best,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh, this week sounds good again! I Might have to do the pretzel dogs one night, the kids would love them! Well, I'm off to work on my menu. I'm getting a late start tonight.

Connie said...

Your menu looks great!

I :heart: Cool Ranch Doritos!

Have a wonderful week!

Audra said...

Those pretzel dogs look so yummy. I might have to try those.

Kristi said...

Wow! Thanks for the pictures and wonderful recipes. I've never made donuts before. (from an earlier post) I think I will have to try them.

Michelle said...

Hi Candi wow you did amazing on the grocery shopping and savings.I wish I could do that in Canada...It all looks so good especially the green chile enchiladas.Yum ;-) I'm coming to dinner you don't mind do you? LOL. Have a great week..